Research Center in Information System Engineering
PReCISE is a research center of the University of Namur (FUNDP) devoted to the engineering and management of advanced information systems. The Faculty of Computer Science and the Department of Business Administration, merging and coordinating the activities of several research groups, jointly created the center in 2005.
Nowadays, developing information systems and integrating them into global business services are extremely difficult endeavors. Current challenges include unprecedented levels of complexity, increasingly large numbers of stakeholders, and the necessity to master a growing range of skills, techniques, tools and methods. Mastering such a process requires a high-level expertise and a fine weave of interactions between complementary disciplines, most importantly Software Engineering and Information Management. PReCISE promotes scientific research in and across these two disciplines, and ambitions to narrow the gap between them.
The core purpose of PReCISE is the development and dissemination of high quality scientific knowledge in the area of information system engineering and management. To this end, PReCISE:
- Provides a supportive environment and facilities for research, including the training of PhD students and hosting of postdoctoral and visiting researchers.
- Pursues scientific cooperation with local, national and international entities in academia and in the public and private sectors.
- Disseminates research results by publishing in leading peer-reviewed journals and by contributing to, and organizing, international conferences.
- Exchanges knowledge with practitioners through Belgian networks of ICT entreprises (Infopole-Cluster TIC (Wallonia) and SIRRIS), its spin-off companies (ReveR and Polymedis) and partner research transfer agencies (CETIC and Henri Tudor).
- Develops strong international collaborations that result in joint publications and frequent exchanges of researchers with over forty research organizations in Europe and around the world. PReCISE participates actively in several European projects and Networks of Excellence (including the ITEA2 Project UsiXML, the FP7 Project iTEC and InterOP), in the IAP interuniversity project MoVES, in the FNRS Centre Fédéré de Vérification and in RW applied research projects.
PReCISE is involved in the FNRS Interuniversity Graduate School in Computing Science (GRASCOMP) and the FNRS LSM Doctoral School of Management.