Work permit

Situations requiring a work permit and how to apply.

In Belgium the current regulations state that any employer wishing to employ a foreign employee (non-EU nationals, Croatian nationals (until 30th June 2015)) in the country must first apply for and obtain a work permit for that employee.

There are different types of work permits available in Belgium:

Work permit  type A

It is issued (provided all the required conditions are met) for an indefinite period and is valid for all employers on Belgian territory. It is granted to foreign nationals who can prove 4 working years that are covered by a work permit type B, during a maximum and uninterrupted residence period of 10 years.

Work permit  type B

It is a temporary permit (it is valid for a maximum of 12 months but is renewable) and is strictly limited to one employer.

Work  permit  type  C

It is valid for one year (but is renewable) for all salaried jobs and is granted to people with a specific residence status such as students, refugees, etc.



The employer in Belgium is responsible for requesting the right to employ a foreign citizen and for the work permit type B application.

Over  30  work  permit  exemptions  exist  in  Belgium, some  of  which  are  applicable  towards researchers and students under specific conditions.


At the University of Namur, the Human Resources Department apply for the work permit to the Région wallonne administration. The first time, your work supervisor is in charge of picking  it up at the Town Hall and sending it to you. Next, you have to picking it up by your own at the Town Hall.

The Région wallonne Administration gives the work permit within one month after the submission.


Mr Jean-Paul LEONIS

Euraxess Contact Point - Researchers Helpdesk

Internal call: 4117

External call: +32 81 72 41 17


Office (on appointment): Rue Godefroid, 5 - door 47